Fighting back against systematic racism is a daunting task, but you don’t need to fight it alone. Here is a list of some organizations that can help:

Information regarding filing a complaint with the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission can be found here. Alternatively, you can contact the Human Rights Commission by phone at 1-877-269-7699 or email

Dalhousie Legal Aid Services can assist you in this process. They can be contacted by phone at (902) 494-3495 or email

Nova Scotia Legal Aid has a social justice law program that can assist individuals through the Human Rights Commission’s complaint process. Contact information for their regional offices can be found here.

The Legal Information Society of Nova Scotia can set up a consultation with a lawyer for a fee. More information about their services can be found here.

If you are in a union, your workplace or collective agreement may be able to help. Contact your union rep or local office for more details.

If you’re not in a union, it may be possible to join one. Unions can be effective in fighting discrimination. If you would like to unionize your workplace, contact the Canadian Labour Congress by phone at (506) 858-9571 or by email